Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Anti-Bully Blog Series Edition #13 Follow Up


Logo Credit to Nate Williams




I wanted to start this Blog with an explanation of what's going on here "behind the scenes" with the series! So I'd like to point out, I've now gone to a post a week. There are a couple reasons for that. For starters there is a lack of content, so I'm trying to stretch it as far as I can. Remember this keeps going because of your contributions. I post how to reach me with pieces and questions at the bottom of EVERY post, this one will be no exception.

So I wanted to cover that but I also wanted to explain why there wasn't a new post last week. My Grandfather passed away last Wednesday. I was at the station and ACTUALLY about to start writing the follow up when I got the news. So I kind of rushed to NS to be with my Fam, so sorry, but I was slightly distracted.

I kind of feel bad it's been THIS long since I posted, and feel I SHOULD apologize to this Anti-bully. I don't want them, to think I in ANY way have trivialized their piece. So without Further delay (we've had enough) I'll start into the Follow Up

I'd like to start by saying it's GREAT that this piece actually had a happy ending, because there was potential for it to not have. I'm SO glad it did because well no one wants to see the other ending, BUT this person is also a FANTASTIC person. Just think, with how many people we've lost to bullying, how many possibly AMAZING adults we have. People say they weep for the future all the time, and I'd like to point out, the bullies survive.

I know I'm a liberal person, so not everyone may not feel the same, but it AMAZES me, that in today's society calling some one "Gay" as an insult is STILL so common. For starters, the fact it's still considered the "Ultimate insult" sickens me. Secondly...that's the best you got? REALLY?

So FURTHER along in this post it brought up a topic that there has been A LOT of coverage on in the series, and it's SUCH an issue these days I'm glad it was brought up (not that it happened though obviously). Cyber Bullying. Cyber Bullying, I probably know about as much as most adults. Facebook came out when I was in college, and therefore, I've never witnessed it as a kid. I've seen it though, I have young listeners on FB and have seen them say "I'm going to punch her in the face", "What a Bitch", "she's Ugly", "I wish she'd die", "No one likes you, go away", "You better watch yourself"...and the list goes on. Notice most were actually females there as well...yeah I noticed that too. Also I love how people say block them. If you think that is where it ends, you're VERY much in the dark on this topic. We're in the age of technology, and guess what, many of the adults are not as smart as the kids on this one. There are ways around blocking. It's SO easy to start up a new FB account. Groups, those are easy to make too, and Bullies THRIVE off the sheep who follow them, on a social network think how high that number can get. PS you can also be added to groups by others on FB now too...so they can hand picktheir followers.

I'd like to point out too how this person said "I thought that because it was verbal it was nothing". THAT can be worse than pounding the crap out of some one (I said CAN not always, depends on the case). I remember I had a class in Middle School that was taught by my Guidance Counselor. It was a total bird course, but I remember a "story" he told us. It was completely cheesey but it got the point across. He took a piece of paper and wrote IALAC on it. It was an Acronym for I Am Lovable And Capable (Kind of impresses I remembered that). So he told this story to us about this kid who had his metaphorical IALAC sign, and each time he was picked on a piece of the sign was ripped off, until there was nothing left. At NO point in the story did this kid get physically bullied. SO in case you missed the symbolism here, this kids feelings were ripped away until he couldn't take it anymore. So Verbal bullying? STILL BULLYING. Humans have emotions and they're strong, so hurting them, REALLY effects them.

Another thing to mention about this is that this person felt they had no one to talk to. This is why groups like Bullying Canada and Kids Help Phone.You've ALWAYS got some one to talk to, and that can be such an important thing. I know there are times I just need to talk to some one, it can make a world of difference. SO if you're going through this PLEASE remember there's ALWAYS some one to talk to.

I want to thank this Anti-Bully once again for sharing their story. Remember if you want to share yours or ask me about the blog you can FB or e-mail me in complete confidence (I never use a name or mention the sex of an Anti-Bully unless I'm given permission). nancy.wood@mbsradio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment