Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Cheap and Easy Edition #4

Logo Credit Nate Williams

Ok So Last week on my PERSONAL Fan page I put it up to a vote, if we wanted my Nanny's Recipe, OR a pasta Sauce. I mentioned the sauce WAS the healthier choice, and in the end the sauce won (clearly these people have NEVER had my nanny's cooking lol). So what's REALLY cool about this sauce is it's actually the FIRST recipe I served to guests. It's PRETTY packed with Veggies too, which I love, and my husband the anti-veggie? He liked it too! So REALLY quickly here are your ingredients

1 Onion
Garlic
Green Pepper
1 Tomato
Ground beef
2 Cans Canned tomatoes
1tblsp Onion Soup mix
1 Box Of Pasta
And sorry I discovered one other OPTIONAL ingredient, but I used it, Flour.

Chop up the first 4 ingredients. Cook in a skillet or a deep frying pan until soft over medium heat. If you have a garlic press, use it (I wouldn't be without mine now) And I RECENTLY READ somewhere that if you let the garlic sit for about 5-10 min prior to cooking you're going to get more of the benefits from it (and this time of year, get those benefits as MUCH as you can)! When they're set add the Ground Beef to the pan and brown. Drain the fat. Meanwhile get that pasta set to go according to the directions on the box. Back to the sauce! Add the canned tomatoes, don't drain. You need to now bring everything to a simmer. Stir in the onion soup mix and let it continue to simmer for another 3 min. IF you choose to use the flour it's for thickening. Ladle out some of the liquid (about 2-3 scoops with the typical sized Ladle) and wisk it with 1/2 a cup of flour, then stir back in WELL (you can also use corn starch whatever you have on hand) let it go about another 2 min to allow it to thicken. Combine the Pasta and Sauce and enjoy! Serves 8 and the portions are GOOD sizes!

Cost for the recipe=9.98
Cost Per serving= 1.25


No comments:

Post a Comment