Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Cheap and Easy Edition #5


Logo Credit Nate Williams

Alright so This week's cheap and easy recipe is one VERY special to me. This is my FAVORITE meal, it's chicken (or turkey) Divan! When I was little my mom's side of my family would gather together on boxing day and it would almost be a potluck type meal. One year my Nanny made THIS with left over turkey (we're making it with chicken but yeah). I think I ate the majority of it. After that Nanny made it EVERY year. Jump ahead SEVERAL years, and I was at my now In-law's place for dinner, and my Mother in-law made something VERY similar. So this is neither of their recipe, this mine...which just happens to be a combo of the two. SO this is one of those meals that has memories for me, I thought that seemed like an odd thing, but in reality we all have those meals I suppose. Quickly again here are the ingredients :

1lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (or left over chicken or turkey work REALLY well here too)
2 Bunches of Broccoli (you can also use a full bag of frozen)
1 Can of Cream of Mushroom, and 1 can of Cream of chicken (or 2 of Cream of chicken)
1 Cup Mayo (yes 1 cup, I use the stuff made with Olive oil...some how that's less offensive in my head)
Lemon Juice (it'll be just a couple splashes)
Curry Powder (to taste, but you'll want at least a tblsp)
Cheese (shredded a cup or more, your call)
Bread Crumbs (yay a use for the heels)
Rice (according to box, however many people you're feeding)

Pre heat the oven to 350

You need the chicken cooked and cut up into pieces. Once that's done layer it in a casserole dish

Cook the broccoli (if it's frozen it needs to be thawed and drained) and layer it over the chicken

In a large Bowl combine the soups, mayo, curry powder, and a couple splashes of Lemon juice. Pour over Chicken and Broccoli

Top with Cheese and Bread crumbs

Bake for 30min, or until the crumbs are golden, cheese is melted and the stuff is bubbly

Meanwhile cook the rice

To serve, serve up rice and top with the Divan

makes 6 servings

Total cost of recipe- 9.92

Cost Per Serving- 1.65



No comments:

Post a Comment