Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How I modify a recipe's Ingredients

PROMISE the Anti-Bully Blog is coming today! I'm not at work yet...actually I'm sitting here watching Rachael Ray. I kind of love her! I'm little, loud and a terrible baker but I LOVE cooking (ok I could be a better baker if I wanted...but I really don't care enough). I personally find I get bored with food easily, actually my hair is thankful for that, it used to be what I experimented with, length, color, etc...I'm a natural long haired jet black brunette (with some silver sprinklings). Back to food (no I don't make a habit of it overlapping with my hair...eww), I VERY rarely eat the same thing twice, I usually change SOMETHING every time I cook. I come by that honestly...My Grandma did the same thing. So I take a LOT of my inspiration from Rachael. HOWEVER, I'm on a budget (is it just me or is this starting to look like a cheap and easy post) so I modify the recipe to be more financially friendly. I ALSO have some food Allergies, so I modify for that too. SO Rachael is over now, and I'm still rambling. I thought maybe I'd show my modifications, so maybe you can look at the recipe you've wanted to try and think...wait...I could do that if I just changed...

So today's recipe was called Spicy Maple-Mustard “Cleveland Style” Chicken or Chops with Brat and Cheddar Potatoes

These are the ingredients:

  • About 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks, 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • Salt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
  • Pepper
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1/2 pound bratwurst, diced
  • 4 bone-in chops or skin-on, bone in chicken breasts
  • 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
  • 2 Honeycrisp apples, skin on and sliced
  • 2 onions, sliced into thin wedges with root end attached
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup cider or hard cider
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup really dark amber maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
If I were to modify this recipe it would look a little more like this

5 Potatoes
Skim Milk (what I have on hand all the time)
Whatever cheese I have on hand OR is on sale (which is typically what I have on hand)
Margarine
Whatever sausages I have on hand (I usually stock up my freezer when it's on sale)
Either the Chops or Chicken breasts (I usually have chicken breasts but then quite often chops go on sale so I could go either way)
Olive oil (because I'm a Rachael fan I always have this on hand, I use extra virgin, and use it as an added moisturizer for my skin, eye makeup remover, and in a facial scrub...there's versatility)
Due to my allergy, I'd leave out the apple
Onion
Flour
Chicken Broth (same as the oil...I keep this on hand)
Worcestershire sauce
Maple syrup
spicy mustard
Cider

SO because of what I HAVE in my house RIGHT NOW I would need to pick up Cheese, Sausages and cider...just work around what you have on hand, it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment