Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cheap and Easy Edition #9


Logo Credit Nate Williams

Chicken Penne with Brocolini

Ok so tried THIS recipe for the first time Sunday. I couldn't get over how fast and easy it actually was to throw together. I mentioned that if you couldn't get Brocolini then Broccoli COULD be subbed in. BUT the other option( I didn't put this in the post, it was actually in a comment on my page) you could use greens too, and I used Kale.

Here are the ingredients again:
1 lb Ground Chicken
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil, divided *
1 bunch Brocolini @
1 Onion chopped
4 cloves Garlic thinly sliced
Parmesan cheese to taste #
1/2tsp Crushed red pepper$

* I mentioned not to spend more than $10 on this in my last post. I was actually in Superstore, and I've been running low, it was less than $6, great time to grab some (should be effective until Thursday at close)

@ This is not easy to find, I've literally NEVER seen it when I needed it. So you can sub in Broccoli (the sale @ OTV is over though) OR some leafy greens. I chose Kale. IF you go this way, omit the stems, they have a bitter taste you'd like to avoid.

# This is optional, and while I'm not a HUGE cheese fan, it kind of put that perfect final touch on

$ So I discovered I was out of this when I made the recipe, so what I ended up using was my club house seasonings, Red peppers and garlic, it worked.

So first you need to get that Penne on. Cook according to the directions on the package. Make sure you salt the water for more flavor. Reserve 1 cup Starchy water when you go to drain.

Meanwhile get half of that oil into a skillet over med-high. Cook the brocolinin (or sub) until softened about 6 min, and transfer to a bowl

Add the rest of the oil to the pan, cook onion for 6-8 min, add garlic and peppers and cook for 2 min.

push to the side of the pan and cook crumbled chicken until it's no longer pink. Season with Salt and Pepper

Add Brocolini back with pasta and 3/4 water and toss. If needed add the rest of the water for sauce.

Top with parm and serve :)

No comments:

Post a Comment